How to Claim?

Your GP or medical specialist will inform you about the service payment and issue you with a medical certificate, if not please ask them. All you will then need to do is choose the wig/s or hairpieces etc you would like from our website.  Once you have chosen your wig, hairpiece or other item you may either request the supplier to make a claim to Sector Operations on your behalf or make a claim yourself.  We are happy to do this for you if you would like.

Claim by us:

Please download the claim form, fill in your personal details and sign the form. Once the form is completed, please send back to us along with a copy of you medical certificate. (where this is your first claim) to You do not pay for the product yourself but keep a copy of the receipt for your personal records.

Claim by you:

You pay for the product yourself. To make a claim for reimbursement you must first have a Sector Operations payee number. Ring Sector Operations on 0800 855 066 for a Payee Number Application Form and a Wig and Hairpiece Claim Form. You will need to complete the forms and return them to Sector Operations for reimbursement of your costs.


Sector Operations will not pay any claims unless they receive the following three items:

  • completed Wig and Hairpiece Claim Form
  • proof of purchase (receipt) issued by the supplier
  • current Medical Certificate for initial claims.


1. Who can claim this service payment?

You may claim for this service payment if you:

  • are a New Zealand citizen, or are ordinarily resident in New Zealand; and
  • have a medical condition that has caused you to lose your hair (like treatment for cancer, alopecia or other scalp conditions that cause hair loss). Your specialist or general practitioner (GP) needs to give you a current medical certificate with your NHI number, details of the hair loss condition and whether it is permanent or temporary.

2. What can I use the service payment for?

The service payment is available to cover the cost of the following items only:

  • wig or hairpiece
  • headwear (eg, hats, turbans)
  • eyebrow wigs and associated products.

3. What are my entitlement?

If you are an adult (18 years or over), the amount you are entitled to depends on whether your hair loss is permanent or temporary. If you are under 18, your entitlement is the same whether the hair loss is temporary or permanent.

For adults (with permanent hair loss)

Your entitlement is $2330.66 (GST incl) over a 9-year period. You can claim all of or part of your $2330.66 (GST incl) entitlement at any time over the 9-year entitlement period.

For adults (with temporary hair loss)

Your entitlement is $408.88 (GST incl) over a 1-year period. You can claim all of or part of your $408.88 entitlement at any time over the 1-year period.

For children (with temporary or permanent hair loss)

If you are under 18 your entitlement is $1226.66 (GST incl) over a 3-year period or until you turn 18, if that happens first. You can claim all or part of your $1226.66 entitlement at any time over the entitlement period.

If you are 18 or over and your growth has been affected by cancer or cancer interventions you may still be entitled to $1226.66 over a 3-year period. To apply for this entitlement you need to contact the Ministry of Health and provide supporting medical information.

Requests for this entitlement should be sent to:

Wigs and Hairpiece Subsidy
Sector Operations
Private Bag 1942
Dunedin 9054

4. What happens when my entitlement period ends?

At the end of the your entitlement period any unspent amount is cancelled. If the Ministry is satisfied that your hair loss is permanent, an entitlement of $2,330.66 (GST incl) will be credited, for a 9-year period. In other cases you must apply to Sector Operations for another entitlement. To do this you must send in a new medical certificate that verifies that your hair loss is either temporary or permanent. A new entitlement balance with then be credited.